Driving Education Courses
Illinois Secretary of State Jessie White Free Rules of the Road Review Course
Open to the general public, this class is for those who are anxious about taking driving and is designed to give drivers - especially senior citizens and persons with disabilities - the knowledge and confidence needed to renew or obtain a driver’s license. The review course combines an explanation of the driving exam with a practice written exam. The class is conducted by the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office and is free of charge. Registration is required. The course is offered through Senior Services in February, June and October from 10 a.m. to Noon Contact Senior Services for scheduled dates.
AARP Smart Driver's Course
Why Take the AARP Smart Drivers Course?
The AARP Smart Drivers course is the nation's first refresher course specifically designed for drivers age 50 and older. In many states, driver may benefit from a discount on their auto insurance premium upon completing the course. And you will learn something new along the way. In fact, an evaluation of the course found that 97% of participants changed at least one driving habit as a result of what they learned.
The Smart Driver course will help you:
- Receive a multi-year discount on your auto insurance
- Refresh your driving sills and your knowledge of the rules - and hazards - of the road
- Reduce your chances of receiving a traffic violation or getting into an accident
The AARP Smart Driver course covers:
- Research based safe driving strategies
- Information on the effects of medication and driving
- Preventive measures to reduce driver distractions
- Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes and new technology found in cars today
- Techniques for handling left turns, right-of-way and roundabouts
- State-specific rules and regulations in 19 key areas, including construction zones, child safety seats, school buses, cellphone use and more
- Easy-to-follow format incorporating adult-learning principals
This 2-day course is offered through Senior Services in April, June, August and October from 12 noon to 4 p.m. Both classes and pre-registration is required. Fee for AARP members is $15 and non-AARP members is $20.